Life is just so busy – we are pulled in so many different directions. We have responsibilities at home, busy careers, and involvement in community events that keep us on the run and away from our kitchens that we have stocked with the most nutritious of foods ;).
It can be challenging to stay on point in terms of nutrition when we are on the run and out of our routine. Challenging, yes… impossible… not at all. In this blog we are going to share with you some of our best strategies for staying on point on the run. We even have a free guide for you to download and take with you:
This guide covers how to fuel your body on the run with with healthier options so that you feel better, have more energy, and are able to keep up with your busy lifestyle. Download the guide here.
Here are some of our favorite on the go snacks that fuel us up and make us feel awesome to conquer the day:
If you are on the go and planning on eating out at a restaurant, you can still stay on track with your health and fitness goals… even if you are at a burger joint. Here are our best strategies for eating on point while dining out:
Before the Restaurant:
- Look at the menu before you leave home and choose the items you want (check online)
- Drink 8oz of water before you leave home
- Eat something light before you go (apple + almonds). This’ll help you ward off the chip/bread bowl.
At the Restaurant:
- Always order sauce on the side
- Choose a protein with 2 vegetables and a healthy fat (avocado)
- Order your burger with no bun or on a salad
- Change it up – if meat over pasta, ask for the same but over salad instead.
- Make sure not to order anything fried
- Ask for no added salt
- Add extra vegetables
- Ask for a double order of mixed vegetables with real butter or olive oil instead of pasta or rice
- For breakfast, instead of home fries, ask for sliced tomatoes or a side of fruit
Items Not on the Menu:
- You can ask for steamed vegetables as a side (add real butter or olive oil)
- You can order a grilled protein (chicken, salmon, etc.) with just salt and pepper
- Ask for a lettuce wrap instead of bread or a bun
If you are eating at home, you have even more control over the quality of ingredients and controlling what goes into your meals. Below are some of our favorite food swaps for healthy living.
Spaghetti –> Spaghetti squash
Chips–> Baked sweet potato chips or beet chips or kale chips
Fries–> Baked sweet potato or carrot fries
Rice–> Cauliflower rice
Pizza Crust–> Crust made with cauliflower rice
Potatoes at breakfast–> Sliced tomatoes
Sandwich bread –> Lettuce wrap
Mayonnaise –> Honey mustard or Paleo Mayo
Sugar –> honey or maple syrup
Sour cream –> Greek yogurt, coconut oil, or applesauce
Toast –> Ezekiel bread
Croutons–> Sliced almonds (in salad)
Bowl of ice cream–> Small Bowl of frozen cherries or grapes
Even if you are eating out you can make a few minor swaps to make your meal more nourishing. Be sure to download our complete Healthy Eating On the Go – a busy person’s guide.
Let us know how it goes!
Join our Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WilcoxHealthyLiving/ Join our private Facebook Group – Healthy Living with Wilcox Wellness & Fitness. We created this Facebook group to create a community of like minded individuals supporting each other in pursuit of their health and fitness goals. This is a place for you to ask questions, share resources, build relationships, support each other, and celebrate each other’s wins. We will be posting in here daily all things healthy living. You will learn the strategies and techniques that we have used to help our clients live their very best healthy life.
Learn more about our KickStart Program! http://www.wilcoxwellnessfitness.com/kickstart.html The KickStart Program is designed to help you form healthy habits that you can sustain for a lifetime. The program includes 14 group personal training sessions and a complete whole foods based meal plan. Click the link above to learn more.